Virginians for the Arts (VFTA) advances the arts in the Commonwealth of Virginia by increasing public awareness of the important contributions the arts make to the life, culture, and economy of the state. VFTA advocates for public funding for the Virginia Commission for the Arts, which makes operating grants essential to the state’s arts organizations.
Members and contributors are arts organizations and individual advocates for the arts throughout Virginia. The organizations share a list serve of over 4,500 Virginia organizations and individual advocates, of which over 400 are active members.
Virginians for the Arts does the following:
- Produces and distributes educational materials that support and promote artists and art organizations, that foster understanding of issues, and that encourage their appreciation
- Conducts public relations campaigns like the award-winning Arts Build Communities campaign, which build grassroots support for the arts
- Celebrates the contributions of Virginia Arts organizations as the original founder of the Dominion ArtsStar Award.
- Advocates for increased funding for the Virginia Commission for the Arts, benefiting artists and arts organizations .
- Employs professional legislative counsel to conduct a variety of advocacy campaigns throughout the year, which encourage legislative actions that improve conditions for the arts and artists and discourage legislation that would adversely affect the arts
- Surveys candidates for public office about their support for public funding for the arts, and publishes results
- Conducts the annual Legislative Reception and Arts Advocacy Day at the Capitol
- Participates in National Arts Advocacy Day, celebrated each year in the Spring by Americans for the Arts
- Provides advocates throughout Virginia emailed news alerts to keep them advised about important news and legislation affecting the arts in the state
Virginians for the Arts was founded in 1992, the Virginians for the Arts Foundation was formed in 2004 and has received 501(c)3, tax-exempt organization status from the IRS.